Search This Blog

Monday 26 April 2010

What's in a Name?

I am wondering if Shakespeare did enough research before penning down his famous lines, "What's in a name?..."
The more I see, the more I think, the more I observe, I have no doubt that everything is in a name...calling a Rose, a Jasmine, wouldn't  be fair or desirable by either of the flowers, isn’t it? And you would surely fail your Botany exam if you still insisted on 'What's in a name..a rose is a rose is a rose..." crashing all your hopes of becoming a horticulturist, or even a gardener!
My  kiddo abhorred it when someone called him by a name other than his own, even when he was just 4 years old. I never liked the concept of 'changing the bride's name after marriage' in some Indian families, though I am sure in the background it represents the beginning of a fresh life after marriage. A great deal of emphasis is laid on spelling the names correctly in books on social networking. Calling someone by a name other than their own would be a big mistake in that area for sure. Remembering names is an invaluable skill. So, how can there be nothing in a name?
A name is so important that even for a new born baby, we look through books, religious books, websites- trying to find that one perfect name that will epitomize all our wishes and hopes for and from that child. A name is not a few letters of the language having come together to signify something- it is an identity, a whole life represented in those few letters! Everything is in a name...it is who you are known to the world as.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These observations are my point of view of the life, as I see it. This blog does not intend to hurt, rationalise, judge, ridicule, or in any way offend anyone at all...it is only a way of sharing my own observations...so, please take it in the right spirit....thanks.