Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Following my heart

When was the last time you followed, literally followed, your heart?

I am not sure why 'following the heart' is almost always associated with making a big choice- like choosing a career of your liking, or going against all odds to marry someone you love, or leaving your job to do something you always loved, or taking up an expensive degree course because you always wanted that name tag of that prestigious university in your CV, or leaving your world behind to take a cruise round the bigger world, or even dropping an existing, glowing career in search of something more satisfying like building schools in a forlorn village?
 I could follow my heart every day, if i so wanted, couldn't I? I could eat that Baskin Robbins that i have been avoiding given my weight issues, i could read at bedtime until i finished that new book, i could sleep late and get up late, i could get in touch with someone i have always wanted to but have hesitated for whatever reasons, i could literally follow my heart every day!!! Would that decrease the value of that dreamy line 'Follow your heart' in anyway?
I have done really silly things in following my heart...and the good thing is, all of them have made me feel good :)))

I once saw an old lady waiting at the building Reception- i loved the white footwear she was wearing, and i could not stop myself from telling her so. And i realised, it made me happy too.

I have got in touch with people i wanted to get back in touch with, i was worried about or even curious about, and i am so glad i did.

I have made special trips to Bikanerwala for its hot jalebis!

I have called up doctors on impulse to thank them for a good treatment, and though i did wish to tell them when it went wrong, i did not :(

I had been searching for a particular perfume for 20 years. I had no clue about it but its fragrance completely bowled me over every time anyone wearing it passed by me. I had been tempted to stop complete strangers, in malls, in hotels, even in the kids' school; and finally one day, i did. I had taken to kids to a theme play area and that meant, there were more kids and fewer parents around. As that lady passed by me, i recognised that fragrance. I went up to her and told her i loved the perfume she was wearing and could she please tell me which one was it. That French lady, very sweetly, wrote down the name for me, speaking in half French, half English- and i cannot even begin to tell you how happy it made me to finally get hold of the perfume that had eluded me for decades.

I have realised more and more that to be able to follow my heart is a blessing, a privilege, a gift. But I also understand that even when we all might want to follow our hearts and do absolutely stupid things in the process, sometimes, we just cannot. I now know (finally!!!!!) why the head was placed above the heart. I think it all again boils down to one basic rule- do not exceed your limit! The world would most likely be a more chaotic place if everyone started following their heart and i guess, that is why we limit our 'follow the heart' encouraging line to only major decisions...hmmm...that Baskin Robbins might as well wait!

2 comments:

  1. I loved it. Felt as if you were writing on my behalf !! And love you for that perfume stanza....as now I can relate to it :-)) (correct me if I'm wrong)

    I totally agree with you that one should follow one's heart once in a while. It does good to your system and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous A: THANK YOU :)))...and yes, you are absolutely right about the perfume story- it is the way it is!
    I am glad our views are not so different afterall!!!
    TC...

    ReplyDelete

These observations are my point of view of the life, as I see it. This blog does not intend to hurt, rationalise, judge, ridicule, or in any way offend anyone at all...it is only a way of sharing my own observations...so, please take it in the right spirit....thanks.