Search This Blog

Monday 17 October 2011

You are under surveillance!

Last festive season saw me looking at the pictures of a 'friend' who had declined invitation to my party, feigning extreme business due to inflow of house guests. I was not looking at her pictures because I missed her so much, but because she was appearing in pictures of another acquaintance's party! I wished she had told me the truth - it would have helped me save a tiny little corner for her...
I did not realise it then, but I do realise it now that with Facebook having invaded our lives, there is no running away! I might decline your invitation with a lie but if another friend decides to tag me in her photos of a happy gathering, my cover is blown! (The same can be used to test your friend list...was I invited to the glittering party whose pictures are now clogging my FB page...meaning it was definitely by someone on my 'Friend' list???, does it matter to me? or, does it tell me where I stand on their 'Friend' list, or is it time to reorganise  my 'Friend' list and separate friends and acquaintances and neigbours and JLT (Just Like That) people on that list???).
With the festive season on us, and the invitations blowing in right, left and centre, my suggestion is, be honest. If you are going to another party, for reasons that only you know (that party is more exciting/ you have already committed to go there/ you are expecting guests/ you have no time for acquaintances and may rather party with close friends/ you do not like mingling with total strangers and would rather chill at home etc.etc.etc.), say so. Honesty has been and will always be the best policy! You might think you are smart enough to make a smart excuse but God forbid, if your invitee lands at the same party????? And for sure, someone or the other will tag you! Oh yes, there is one more alternative: leave your life behind and get busy organising your FB life to the T..leave no loop holes, take no chances.
Of course, it is your call...you might have to make a tough call though, break a few hearts but it will be worth it in the long run. And only you can judge how important your relationship to this invitee is.
I, of course, have never invited that 'friend' ever again, although I do not forget to say a big Hi and hug her when I see her at the local supermarket! (I have confessed earlier on...I pretend!!) ;)))))

2 comments:

  1. I can't help it but this article deserves only one reaction, which I'm finding so so hard to supress...please allow me to LAUGH OUT LOUD.....HA HA HA. I loved this blog of yours to the CORE!! You've hit the bull's eye.

    I totally and completely agree with you that people should be open and honest with their reasons to decline any invitation. It's their prerogative but being honest does help in saving friendships or acquaintances. There are times when we find ourselves in Catch 22 situation but rather than messing up things, an honest approach is advisable and I'm sure much appreciated too because at the end of the day we all are mature and sensible adults!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anon A: Thank you so much for your laughter filled comment! I enjoyed reading it :))) you are right about catch 22 stiuation though how sensible we all are in such situations is quetsionable!! Recently, i was invited to a religious gathering during navratre, and in spite of committing, could not go due to unexpected medical emergency at home...i was so relieved to see a common acquiantance at the hospital...knowing that my invitee will finally know that i did not make up an excuse...and it was all through FB- the event planning, invitation, confirmation etc.etc.!

    ReplyDelete

These observations are my point of view of the life, as I see it. This blog does not intend to hurt, rationalise, judge, ridicule, or in any way offend anyone at all...it is only a way of sharing my own observations...so, please take it in the right spirit....thanks.