Search This Blog

Thursday 7 January 2016

I Promise!

I have never said those words to anyone- not in my recent, fresh memory at least. Not those two exact words. Especially not after I learnt another beautiful word, InshaAallah, God Willing.  Na- never. May be because I have never had the conviction with which they were said to my son recently, "I promise- by tomorrow you will be absolutely fine." I am not sure if she really was so sure, or she was just giving us confidence but for sure, I could not help admiring her confidence!

But it also made me wonder, is that what it is- a confidence game? Do people really mean it when they say so? Or does it become a habit with them- a subconscious act of conscious training? What gives them so much confidence in their skill, in themselves? Do they really feel in control of circumstances, or is it just positive thinking? Whatever it is, it is admirable because it creates faith- faith at a time when it is most needed; faith that whatever it is you are being promised, it will be done, that someone is actually in control of everything and someone knows their job well enough to promise you with such conviction.

But what happens when after being told, "I promise!" things go wrong, work does not get done, promises are not kept? Anger, I am sure, is the first emotion. And then disbelief that how could it happen when the promise was made with such vehement conviction?  Negativity, in short.

May be that is why I have never had the confidence to say to anyone - "I promise!". And yet, I admit that  it feels great to have someone with such strength, confidence, and conviction in our life- someone who can give hope and comfort when you need it the most. Now, if only everyone who says/ said "I promise" keeps/ kept their promise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

These observations are my point of view of the life, as I see it. This blog does not intend to hurt, rationalise, judge, ridicule, or in any way offend anyone at all...it is only a way of sharing my own observations...so, please take it in the right spirit....thanks.